(We are editing)



You must apply online for the Hong Kong British National (Overseas) (BN(O)) visa.

You can use this service if you are applying for the visa, or if you are applying with a BN(O) citizen.

If you are applying as a family unit, you must apply at the same time.

Your family members

Family members can apply for a BNO visa with you if they’re eligible.

Your family members must apply at the same time as you. They cannot apply after you get a decision about your visa application.


If you’re from Hong Kong and are a British national (overseas) you and your family members can apply for a British National (Overseas) visa. This is known as a BNO visa. It allows you to live, work and study in the UK.

Who can apply

You can apply for a BNO visa if you’re:

Your permanent home must be:

  • in Hong Kong, if you’re applying from outside the UK

  • in the UK, Channel Islands, Isle of Man or Hong Kong if you’re applying in the UK

Apply outside the UK

As part of your application, you will need to prove your identity. How you do this depends on where you’re from and what type of passport you have.

You can either:

  • give your fingerprints and a photograph (biometric information) at a visa application centre

  • use the ‘UK Immigration: ID Check’ app to scan your identity document - you’ll also create or sign into your UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) account

You will be told what to do when you apply.

After you have started your application, you can save it and complete it later.


After you get a decision

If your application is successful, you’ll get either:

  • a biometric residence permit - if you gave your biometric information at a visa application centre

  • a digital immigration status which you can view and prove online - if you used the 'UK Immigration: ID Check' app